Please restore `make-obsolete''s functionality.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Please restore `make-obsolete''s functionality.
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 20:28:40 +0000

Hi, Emacs,

In the definition of `make-obsolete' (in
.../lisp/emacs-list/run-byte.el), the third parameter WHEN is &optional.

At least it was until somebody changed the interactive form to make WHEN
mandatory, on the pretext that "New code should always provide the `when'
argument.".

Please can we remove this Cleverness?  `make-obsolete' also has to work
on OLD code (sometimes very old code) written when WHEN was &optional.
There are 6 occurances inside CC Mode.  I really don't want to waste my
time trying to determine when each of these became obsolete.  There'll be
lots elsewhere too, probably.

The effect of this on me personally is to discourage me from clearing out
compilation warnings (of which there are ~55 in CC Mode).

Please can we have WHEN &optional again?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).