Re: CMake build anyone?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: CMake build anyone?
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 06:15:13 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

[snip]

>> If you imply that requiring cmake for Windows people is too a serious
>> inconvenience, it should be noted that cmake makes gnuwin32/msys
>> unnecessary
>
> MSYS is already unnecessary (and even not recommended), and GnuWin32
> is just a bunch of ported programs with no relation to one another.
> The Windows build requires only `cp' and `rm', and they don't have to
> be from GnuWin32.

You need to install `cp' and `rm' from somewhere, right? I'll say that
obtaining and installing cmake is faster and safer than doing the same
with those utilities.

How many problems gnuwin32 causes? How many problems are caused by
people seeing the `rm' and `cp' requirement and installing random things
from the Internet (including MSYS)?

>> For the time being, we can put MSDOS aside and go ahead if cmake is seen
>> as convenient enough by the Windows maintainers.
>
> I think it's inconvenient even on GNU/Linux.

I'm not sure we are talking about the same here. The main convenience of
cmake is for the Windows maintainers. If I can't convince you (Eli),
Jason and Juanma about its advantages, it is pointless to add it to
Emacs.