Re: recent commit broke src/dired.c on OSX

From: Chad Brown
Subject: Re: recent commit broke src/dired.c on OSX
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 13:12:26 -0700

I think Randal was on to something before; on my system, it's necessary to
remove the declaration of opendir() from dired.c (it conflicts with the
definition in <dirent.h>).

The resulting build gives warnings:

dired.c: In function ‘Ffile_attributes’:
dired.c:1016: warning: comparison is always false due to limited range of data
type
dired.c:1016: warning: comparison is always false due to limited range of data
type
dired.c:1020: warning: comparison is always false due to limited range of data
type
dired.c:1020: warning: comparison is always false due to limited range of data
type
dired.c:1068: warning: comparison is always false due to limited range of data
type
dired.c:1068: warning: comparison is always false due to limited range of data
type

but seems to run.  I haven't had a chance to test it extensively yet.

It seems that Darwin's dirent.h prototype is:

DIR *opendir(const char *)

which conflicts with dired.c's unconditional (ifndef MSDOS) declaration:

extern DIR *opendir(char *)

I have to run of now and help a friend move, but I can try to dig into this a
little more when I return this evening, if it will help.

Thanks,
*Chad