Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 14:33:24 +0200

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Wojciech Meyer
<address@hidden> wrote:
> So what the vim users say? Out of curisoity. Sent from mobile...

I have tried vim, but switched to Emacs. The reason?

Before trying vim I used a proprietary vi port on w32 that supported
CUA. When that was no longer supported I tried vim, but at that time
vim did not support CUA. That is how I come to consider Emacs again
since I read it now had a better vi emulation mode than the old
vip-mode. (In my opinion both vi-mode and vip-mode should be marked
obsolete and phased out as soon as possible.)

I would not even consider using Emacs without a vi emulation mode. I
tried it before and found it was just too much trouble. Vi is much
faster for editing for me.

Interestingly enough vim now has CUA support. So I believe the reason
that Emacs does not have CUA support is not that the current primary
possible user base (which is probably about the same as vim) does not
want CUA.