Re: What is emacs architecture ? --- Who would have the ancient emacs ta

From: Fren Zeee
Subject: Re: What is emacs architecture ? --- Who would have the ancient emacs tarballs ?
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 13:56:45 -0700

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 7:49 AM, David Robinow <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 11:28 PM, Fren Zeee <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 1:23 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> You won't find anything that old in Bazaar.  I think the earliest
>>> version generally available is 18.59, and you can probably find
>>> versions back to 17.xx somewhere as tarballs, but the earliest in
>>> Bazaar is later than either of those.
>>
>> Anyone know where to find such gem of tarballs .. that still compile
>> successfully today .. and the libraries they need ?
>>

> 18.59 is at ftp.gnu.org/old-gnu/emacs/

Who would have the ancient emacs tarballs ?

I repeat an earlier post under the different title to give info on
finger tips and wide viewer coverage.

Thanks

This newbie thanks for your past help and looks for more till able to
contribute.

If the experts are in slight disagreement as above, let me explain
what I want to do. First, I plan to read on Bazaar in some days and
prepare a debian/ubuntu with bazaar to download the repository. I
certainly want to isolate from this big collection of the subset
directory structure of the earliest and simplest and minimal emacs. I
am not interested at this stage in any latest emacs. I want some
_qualified_ suggestions on which would be the most instructive release
to play with. This exercise at this stage is for purely educational
purpose - as we appreciate the value of pure maths, pure science and
pure research. Contributions in this way comes later with strong
inspiration. People's minds work differently.

To facilitate refererral to various versions of emacs (in the absence
of bazaar working as yet on my system) here is a chart I have. I am
wondering what kind of gui chart will bazaar show to me.

From: http://www.jwz.org/doc/emacs-timeline.html

1985  GNU Emacs 13.0? (20-mar-85)
     by Richard Stallman.
     initial public release?