Re: What is emacs architecture ?

From: Fren Zeee
Subject: Re: What is emacs architecture ?
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 21:35:54 -0700

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Karl Fogel <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:
>>() Fren Zeee <address@hidden>
>>() Wed, 7 Jul 2010 15:28:42 -0700
>>
>>   Where do you get the very minimal of the emacs code?
>>   For anyone to contribute to emacs, there has to be
>>   some very minimal code to be read and understood and
>>   also documenting the journey for future reference
>>   when the person starts forgetting.
>>
>>The comments in the C source code are detailed.  If your
>>learning style is top-down, i would suggest starting at
>>keyboard.c, "Keyboard and mouse input; editor command loop".
>
> And for getting the latest sources, see
>
>  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs

The site uses Bazaar which is similar to CVS, but I have forgotten
CVS. I just want to know some starter CVS commands so that I can
quickly checkout source at any stage of freeze in the past.

Can you please give this newbie, a bunch of one liner CVS/Bzr commands
and state/explain what they do ?

I have visited the savannah site

http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/

I cant find the FAQ for this emacs developer mailing list.

Basically, I want to know how to find what were the past freezes that
were released and stable. How to check them out.

For the documentation, how to find out whether the emacs pdf manuals
that are being distributed today were made from latex or texi and then
get a certain version of the pdf compiled with color bookmarks.

Please, consider this newbie finds comfortable starting point as this link:

http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/

or a FAQ.

This itself could be a FAQ question:

How to find stable releases on the repository ?
How to check them out for one not very recently familiar with CVS or Bzr ?

Thanks,
Franz