Re: Emacs and Gnome Canvas

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs and Gnome Canvas
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 11:12:00 +0300

> Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 16:31:10 +0900
> From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,
>       address@hidden,
>       address@hidden

> >> I don't think tty-code is affected.  The question "which part
> >> should be updated" is common, and "how to update" is already under
> >> the control of RIF.
>
> > That's not true, at least not for some value of "how to update".
>
> > Perhaps you should describe in more detail what you include in
> > "which part should be updated" and what in "how to update".  Then we
> > will have a common language to talk in.
>
> Glyph matrices comparison belongs to the former, which does not need
> to change.  And RIF operations such as write_glyphs belong to the
> latter, which would require changes but is already separated between
> window-system and tty.

There's a large portion of redisplay that belongs to none of these
two: the try_window method and its work-horse display_line.  These
produce, for each window, the portions of its glyph matrix that do
need to change.  This code is platform independent (although some of
its parts are not run for tty frames), and it runs _before_ the
write_glyphs methods.