Re: Selection changes

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Selection changes
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 22:56:52 -0400

David De La Harpe Golden <address@hidden> writes:

> with both x-select-enables on:
>
> C-y in emacs gives you clipboard for a while, until you select
> something else in emacs, which causes emacs to set and prefer primary,
> then it gives you primary for a bit when you C-y (or the kill ring
> head), then you go "wtf?" and select then C-c again in $app, and you
> get clipboard for a bit when you C-y in emacs, until you select more
> text, then C-y gives you primary, but then you C-v in $app and you
> still get clipboard, but C-y in emacs still gives you primary...

Yes, with select-active-regions enabled, it is a serious problem if
C-SPC and making an active region messes with the primary.  So, for the
moment, I went ahead and changed x-select-enable-primary to nil, as you
requested.

But I think select-active-regions needs further improvement.  Perhaps
its default behavior should be as follows: for an active region created
using shift-selection or mouse dragging, Emacs supplies the region text
to primary.  When such a region is deactivated, Emacs disowns primary
(as some other apps do, tho not Firefox).  For an active region created
simply with C-SPC, no special x-selection handling should be performed.

We could give select-active-regions a new default value, `shift-select',
which would have the above meaning.