Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 11:52:56 +0900

> Since Emacs has scroll bars, and no hand pointers, it would be more
> consistent today if the scroll commands were named identifying with
> the view.  The change could be made compatibly by choosing new names
> such as scroll-view-down and scroll-view-up.
>
> Still, I am not sure it is worth the transient.  Ordinary use of Emacs
> doesn't involve knowing the names of these commands, so I don't think
> they could be a real obstacle to learning to use it.

Even it's not worth any real "change", I think just adding the more
explicitly named command names (with the non-explicit names as aliases)
would be generally very useful for people that want to bind them
themselves or use them in lisp.  Despite using emacs for decades, I'm
_still_ a little confused by the direction of "scroll-up"... :O (which I
suppose confirms your point that nobody actually looks at them :).

-Miles

--
Kilt, n. A costume sometimes worn by Scotchmen [sic] in America and Americans
in Scotland.