Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 21:31:26 -0400

    * A scroll bar typically is associated with the view, not the paper: when
you
    drag it down, the view moves down (and the paper up).

    * A hand pointer typically is associated with the paper, not the view; when
you
    drag it down, the paper moves down (and the view up).

When these command names were chosen, Emacs had neither of those,
and both analyses made sense. I chose to identify them with the paper.

Since Emacs has scroll bars, and no hand pointers, it would be more
consistent today if the scroll commands were named identifying with
the view.  The change could be made compatibly by choosing new names
such as scroll-view-down and scroll-view-up.

Still, I am not sure it is worth the transient.  Ordinary use of Emacs
doesn't involve knowing the names of these commands, so I don't think
they could be a real obstacle to learning to use it.