Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 07:59:57 -0400

On 07/13/2010 04:32 AM, Tom wrote:
Since we don't have a killer feature which would attract new
users like perfect code assist (context aware completion, instant
display of documentation of elements, live indication of syntax
errors, etc.) out of the box with near-zero configuration, we

Enabling the CEDET code completion stuff "by default" would come pretty close. I know lots of folks complain about CEDET being hard to figure out or configure. On GNU systems with projects written in Automake, however, it self configures most of the complicated stuff, and will do a good job with completion in C and C++ and a few other languages.

CEDET is also now a part of Emacs. Why not configure CEDET to be on, use it for a while, and instead of turning it off because of some glitch you don't like, fix the little things that confused you or were hard. That would take less time than reading this thread.

One of the things I was most surprised by was that when CEDET was integrated into Emacs, only 2 people tried it and reported anything from this list. I fixed those things too. Now this list is posting things that effectively pretend CEDET doesn't exist. What's up with that?

Eric