Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 00:29:37 +0200

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Or use "scroll-up" where it means scroll down, or use
>> > "split-horizontally" where it splits vertically ;)
>>
>> Good one.
>
> Actually no, bad one.

[snip]

> What's the point? (1) The Emacs terminology for up/down
> vertical/horizontal (split) is not silly.  (2) Some such things are
> arbitrary, or you can at least come up with reasonable arguments for
> either choice.  (3) The same is not true for other things, such as
> red/green.  And that's why I purposefully chose red/green for my
> example.

The fact is that the terminology we are discussing will cause confussion
on a relevant group of users. For them, the red/green example applies
fully. This is bad, and the designers shall avoid those cases.

BTW, the red/green issue is more real than you seem to think. Have you
developed a GUI (or any sort of visual interface) that uses colors for
communicating critical info? A color-blind subject could argue that you
are being perverse when using red and green for displaying info, no
matter you refer to them by the "right" names on the manual.

[snip]