Re: Efforts to attract more users?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Efforts to attract more users?
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:33:39 +0300

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,
>     address@hidden,
>     address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 17:05:05 +0900
>
>  > It's a shame that Emacs development seems to lose Lennart's resources
>  > of time and energy, but I really don't see how things could go
>  > differently,
>
> It's very easy to see how it could go differently.  Do what he asks,
> on a case by case business.  Of course you have to get papers.  And
> you have to reserve the right to make arbitrary changes to his
> contributed code.

I explained elsewhere why I think this is not a good use of my time.
I can easily understand why Juanma would think it's not a good use of
his time, either.

> But I suspect that as long as it works he won't even check what you
> did to fit it into Emacs coding style etc.

Wrong assumption.  And, of course, coding conventions is not the only
issue with these contributions.  More often than not, the
implementation is just plain wrong, based on purely phenomenological
evidence, and lacking any real understanding of how the relevant parts
of Emacs work.  Explaining how things really work does not help,
because the only outcome is another endless argument.

> And finally, the code has to be worth making an exception.  Maybe I'm
> misjudging what this is worth to Emacs; on that, I concede that you
> and Juanma are far better judges than I ever will be.

Both of us (and Jason Rumney, when he had more time to spend on this)
were always almost unanimous in our critical opinions.  If you think
it helped convince Lennart to budge, think again.