Re: Wrong type error in dbus method

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Wrong type error in dbus method
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 21:47:34 +0200

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> I typed ā€˜iā€™ and Emacs beeped: "No index".  That's a big hole.
> [If i were maintaining Emacs, i would add "all manuals have an
> index" as a strong requirement in admin/FOR-RELEASE (Manuals).]

Added.

> Re this particular problem (incorrect list construction), perhaps
> where it reads:
>
>      All other arguments args are passed to METHOD as arguments.  They
>      are converted into D-Bus types as described in *note Type
>      Conversion::.
>
> you could link to the Emacs Lisp manual, node "(elisp) Building Lists".

I've refrained from adding this. The concrete error was not related to
special dbus.el handling; pointing to list construction could be added
to any package specific manual otherwise ...

> I see this blurb is repeated in both Synchronous Methods and Asynchronous
> Methods, so another idea is to add to Overview a small section "Audience",
> with appropriate hints/links on Emacs Lisp programming, message bus fu,
> network etiquette, etc.  The primary message there would be "to get the
> best out of this manual (& the API it describes & the peers with whom you
> will likely be communicating), move your mind here, first".  Of course,
> if you are a mechanism/policy separation purist, this might chafe a bit.

This might be worth to add. But I still need some thinking about,
because it could tend to explain DBus itself, which shouldn't be done in
dbus.texi.

> thi

Best regards, Michael.