Re: stop using P_, __P in header files

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: stop using P_, __P in header files
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 17:24:49 -0400

On Jul 4, 2010, at 12:46, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
> There are some remaining issues to solve:
>
> - DEFUNs need to be converted by hand, protoize does not know anything about
> them.

(By *hand*??  Ugh.  We really need a tool that implements some kind of editing
macros... :-)

Also, I believe make-docfile scans the argument lists; it may need to be taught
about the new syntax.

Or, the explicit old-style argument declarations can go away, and DEFUN can be
taught how to expand a list of argument names into a list of new-style argument
declarations.  I thought about doing this back in May when we were discussing
the DOC file name handling and version number definition; I think it would
require making a bunch of helper macros for each MAXARGS value that could get
passed.  (I was thinking about it in the context of putting the doc strings in
a section of the executable that only gets paged in when needed on most
platforms, rather than having to copy them to and then load from a separate
file.)

> - the error and message functions in lisp.h are called with variable
>  number of arguments, but are defined with a fixed number of arguments.

They should probably be fixed to be standard variadic functions, which means
doprnt() has to be taught about va_arg.  I can take a shot at that, if no one
else feels like it; it's probably easy.

We could also probably ditch the "register" declarations that date back to
pre-GCC days; do they do *any* good now?

Ken