Re: Differences between ibuffer and dired

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Differences between ibuffer and dired
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 23:57:11 +0300

> Thats why I suggested a separate branch.  All the changes could then be
> tried in the branch withouth inconveniencing users.

I think no separate branch is necessary.  You can write a set of functions
that defines a "theme" with keybindings and send it to the emacs-devel
or distribute with the help of the package system, so everyone could
easily try new keybindings.

> In the end it would be neat with some skinning facility, and keymaps
> could be part of that. I dont think you could please all users. The kind
> of skin to use could then be chosen on install.
>
> I also dont like the argument that a specific keymap should be kept
> because its been like that forever. I've been using Emacs since 1988 and
> I would still much prefer good consistent keymaps to inconsistent ones.

I agree.  I've been using Emacs since 1989 and I don't mind relearning
some keybindings for consistency.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/