Re: Bug statistics

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Bug statistics
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 15:38:06 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> FWIW, when I've experienced this automated dup-finding in the web
>> interface of other bug trackers, it has not been a nuisance -- on the
>> contrary it was a great relief, because it helped me know I'm not
>> wasting the developers' time with a duplicate report.  (The majority of
>> the time, it did find a dup of what I was about to file.  Sometimes I
>> was able to go to that existing report and add useful information.)
>>
>> For me it became one of those "never go back" features, like sexp motion
>> in Emacs.
>
>That would put you into the ``have a lot of time on your hands''
>category, in my book.  I have maybe 10 hours a week to work on Emacs.
>I cannot invest any significant portion of that time on reading the
>descriptions of bugs, without adversely affecting my productivity,
>which is too low as it is.

I almost always only need to read the subject of the duplicate bug to
know it's the same as the one I'm about to report.  In the cases where I
need to dive into the description, that only adds another 20 seconds or
so.

These amounts of time are "lost in the noise" when compared to the
amount of time it would take to actually file a new report.

-K