Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 18:15:56 +0300

> Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 22:11:47 +0100
> From: David De La Harpe Golden <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> On 23/06/10 20:11, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>

> > After looking at the code and experimenting a bit, I think there's no
> > other way to prevent recentering on slow machines except set
> > redisplay-dont-pause non-nil.
>
> [FWIW, my current machine, while not totally new, is a multicore opteron
> and not especially slow either]

That's strange: I cannot reproduce these problems unless I
artificially slow down redisplay (by adding a few msec of sleep each
time Emacs displays a screen line).  What is the clock speed of your
machine?

> Both do seem to be correlated with areas of HELLO with some of the more
> complicated looking scripts, though.

It could be that problems in HELLO are due to the actual drawing of
characters, which slows down Emacs even more than I did.