Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 22:11:47 +0100

On 23/06/10 20:11, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

After looking at the code and experimenting a bit, I think there's no
other way to prevent recentering on slow machines except set
redisplay-dont-pause non-nil.

[FWIW, my current machine, while not totally new, is a multicore opteron and not especially slow either]

redisplay-dont-pause t (that's t):

11 times in 20 whole buffer scrollthroughs.

This is due to some other problem.  Do you really see Emacs
recentering the window with HELLO?  What I see is that the current
line is not recentered, but scrolled all the way to the top of the
window.  IOW, the cursor jumps to the first screen line, and then
moves down until it hits the end of the window.  Could it be that you
see this, instead of recentering?

Hmm.  I am fallible, so yes its possible.

Trying to _stop_ as soon as possible after the event occurs rather than scrolling through, I have now made that happen - managed to stop with with tigrigna at first screen line and the point nearby, in the upper half of the window. Which couldn't happen with recenter.

But I've also stopped with Lao ending up at the top of the screen soon after hitting Slovenian or so at the bottom, and Oriya at the top soon after hitting Tigrigna or so, with the point in the lower half of the window.

So that could be two seperate problems.  Or I'm just mistaken about the
second, unlucky blinks and saccades. Either way, I'm on the way to a headache now.

Both do seem to be correlated with areas of HELLO with some of the more complicated looking scripts, though.