Re: Can't get speechSynthesizer:didFinishSpeaking: to run on OS X

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Can't get speechSynthesizer:didFinishSpeaking: to run on OS X
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 07:42:38 +0000 (UTC)

Ivan Andrus <darthandrus <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to add GNUstep/Cocoa speech synthesis to my local copy of emacs.
 I know this is an GNUstep/OS X
> only feature and that it will probably never make it into emacs.

It's not impossible -- features for the X11 interface at least, whether
implemented/implementable elsewhere, often make it in.  I can't speak to what
the criteria are for these kinds of things.  Anyway it sounds like an
interesting project.

> and I have set an instance as a delegate to an NSSpeechSynthesizer object, but
it never fires.  If I call it
> manually as
>
> [[speech_synthesizer delegate] speechSynthesizer: speech_synthesizer
didFinishSpeaking: YES];

> it works, so I don't think there is a problem with the callback, or the
delegate.  I read at
> http://lists.apple.com/archives/cocoa-dev/2009/Feb/msg00624.html
> that asynchronous callbacks rely on the runloop.  I think Emacs.app does some
weird things with the
> runloop, so my question is, what must I do to get this to work?  Is it even
possible?  Does Emacs.app even use
> the runloop?

Emacs.app activates the run loop in a kind of stutter-step fashion using [NSApp
run] followed by [NSApp stop] repeatedly.  Certain asynchronous events work,
like open-file requests to the NSApplication delegate, and NSTextInput
callbacks.  I cannot recall any that positively DON'T work at the moment.  I
don't know if the system is handling the ones I mention differently from the
callback you're trying to get, but anyway it seems worth looking into a bit
more.

One thing to check -- I have no idea how the speech synth subsystem works, but
if system events are involved you can intercept and print those in the
-sendEvent: method in nsterm.m.

-Adrian