Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 16:06:52 +0200

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 2:45 PM, David Engster <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is a misunderstanding; I think Juanma pretty much
> summarized the problem with "Emacs should stop reading input until it
> catches his breath", and Stefan's as well as Eli's response to that was
> pretty clear that this cannot be done without redesigning
> redisplay.

I think we also have made different guesses of what is most important.

> This is why I thought you're actually working on another,
> more subtle bug,

The bug with clip_changed is not very subtle in my view. It is just a
bug in the logic, a bad assumption that was not noticed before.

> I actually did test the patch you first send, but I couldn't notice any
> difference while scrolling; recentering did still happen when leaning on
> <down>.

There seems to be something interesting there then. Fine.

I can't see any recentering at all (except for those connect with the
visual-line-mode/word-wrap bug I also told about) but Emacs was
recentering very often for me when holding down <down> before I wrote
my patch for clip_changed.

> However, you also said that the patches were not complete, so
> I'd be happy to test anything you send me (feel free to send them via
> private mail, no need to clean anything up).

Thanks. I will send them to you privately then.