Re: Another input method feature needed

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Another input method feature needed
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 01:03:28 +0900

>  > It would be nice to have a mode in which you can browse through all
>  > the various character sets, move to a character you are interested in,
>  > and ask how to input it.
>
> A naive implementation won't cut it.  There are an *awful lot* of
> characters, and browsing gets painful if you do it by Unicode blocks
> unless you already know pretty much exactly what you're looking for.
> Eg, "accented Latin" requires browsing through maybe 700 characters,
> and they all start to look alike after the first two rows.  It's easy
> to miss what you're looking for.

Point taken, but I think browsing _can_ be a lot more useful that the
above description suggests -- the human visual system is pretty good at
that kind of thing.

Sometimes when I don't have a more efficient way find a character, I do
"M-x list-charset-chars RET unicode-bmp RET" and scroll around.  The
table format used there seems well suited to quick scanning, and one can
just auto-repeat C-v to quickly search for likely-looking code blocks...

-Miles

--
Custard, n. A vile concoction produced by a malevolent conspiracy of the hen,
the cow, and the cook.