Re: Window configurations

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Window configurations
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 11:42:31 +0300

> (and are flawed for frame local buffer lists as well).

If frame-local buffer-lists are flawed, they should be fixed.
But I think window-local buffer-lists should be modelled after
frame-local buffer-lists.  A frame-local buffer-list is a frame
parameter, so a window-local buffer-list could be a window parameter,
with more information associated with every element (window-start,
window-point, quit-restore function).

> I suppose that for the moment I'll abandon the idea of window local
> buffer lists and return to them after I have solved some other issues.

You will need window-local buffer-lists anyway to correctly restore
previous places when quitting the window.  IOW, instead of
`quit-restore-window' parameter (that saves only 1 previous place),
you can add a window parameter `buffer-list' (and use it to restore
previous places when quitting) that later could combine its values
with frame-local `buffer-list' and global `buffer-list' for the
function `(buffer-list)'.

> The problem is that the information contained there might be already
> stale (the user might have done a lot of things in between).  For help
> windows it makes sense to check whether the window still displays the
> help buffer and only if it does I proceed according to the information
> stored in the window parameter.  For arbitrary buffers in non-dedicated
> windows I might just violate the principle of least surprise.

I see no such problems for `view-return-to-alist', so maybe it won't
a problem for other buffers too.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/