Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption

From: Chad Brown
Subject: Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 17:29:11 -0700

On Jun 15, 2010, at 4:59 PM, Lennart Borgman wrote:

All I do to check this is open window.c and then hit/hold down the
down arrow key (or "j" in viper).

Does this work without "jumping scrolling" for you? (You have to test
for a while, the jumping does not happen always. I is a bit like
playing a computer game.)

This can be a function of computer speed -- the settings make emacs try to keep up the scrolling, but if the cursor motion gets ahead of the scrolling, it chooses to jump-scroll rather than silently eating the scrolling.

Caveat: this is my `basic' understanding; I haven't tested exactly these settings.

What would you like Emacs to do, conceptually, if you move down lines faster than the display engine can redraw them?  I assume `scroll less' and `error' are both obvious non-starters, so I'm guessing that you would want emacs to remain syncronous, even if it meant being unresponsive in a scroll-redraw-repeat loop; is that correct?

*Chad