Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption

From: Sean Sieger
Subject: Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 19:24:35 -0400

    >> Perhaps you need to customize `scroll-preserve-screen-position'.

    Thanks. Perhaps. I just set it to 'always but Emacs still do the
    "jumping scrolling".

    However not always. And that makes it even more frustrating. I feel
    like a prey. Suddenly it jumps - and I do not know why and when.

    Is that jumping expected?

    > And set line-by-line scrolling to deactivate the automatic scroll
    > recentering. Both are needed to get sane scrolling behavior (for
    > values of "sane" that exactly match my preferences, of course... ;-)

    I am not sure which option you mean. Could you please tell me?

This seems to work well, Lennart:

(setq scroll-preserve-screen-position 'always
      scroll-conservatively           most-positive-fixnum
      scroll-step                     0)