Re: support for git commit --amend/--signoff

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: support for git commit --amend/--signoff
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 10:18:34 -0400

> For --amend I think we should have a different mechanism that does not
> involve editing the text in the *VC-log* buffer, it's a more
> destructive operation and it's not a good idea to allow the user to do
> it by mistake by just placing an Amend: line in the buffer.

You might be right, but I don't think it would be terribly bad to have it
be editable in the buffer (after all it's also just an "--amend" away when
committing on the command line).

I'm not sure what UI you're considering to use and what users would
want, because I've never used Git's amend feature.  But I think it
should be considered in the light of similar functionality in other VCS,
such as maybe "cvs admin -m" and DaRCS's "amend-record".

For PCL-CVS what I offered was a way to edit a log-message (typically
called from the log-view buffer).  But admittedly, "cvs admin -m" is
a fairly different beast from Git's amend.

If we only consider Git's and DaRCS's forms of amend, I'd say that the
"Amend:" header might be a good approach, and that it should specify the
revision/patch that's amended.  So for Git, you could have a command
that inserts "Amend: <SHA-1>" and then the backend could check that the
SHA-1 is the right one (which would avoid accidental use).

        Stefan