issues migrating to cocoa emacs (23.2) from carbon emacs (22)

From: John Owens
Subject: issues migrating to cocoa emacs (23.2) from carbon emacs (22)
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 23:30:18 +0000 (UTC)

I'm trying the 23.2 release Cocoa Emacs build (OS X 10.6.3). There's a
number of things that are more annoying about Cocoa Emacs than the
terrific Carbon Emacs (based on an Emacs 22 build, I believe), so I
hoped folks might have some solutions/thoughts:

- Option key is meta, but I like command better; easy to solve though:

    (setq mac-option-key-is-meta nil
          mac-command-key-is-meta t
          mac-command-modifier 'meta
          mac-option-modifier nil)

    This also works:

 '(ns-alternate-modifier (quote none))
 '(ns-command-modifier (quote meta))

- Antialiasing looks (to me) a lot worse than with Carbon Emacs
particularly in my mailer (Wanderlust).

- I used to be able to option-click (in my mailer again) on web links,
but that doesn't work any more. This might be mailer-specific, but I
don't think so; I think it used to map to middle-button, but it doesn't
any more (no matter which of the two remappings above I use).

- I used to be able to "open -a Emacs foo.bar" in the terminal and
that would open in my Emacs. No longer is that the case. Now it
launches a new Emacs instance. Grrr. I guess daemon-mode is a possibility,
but the old behavior was really nice.

Thoughts?

JDO