Re: System calls without error checks in w32

From: grischka
Subject: Re: System calls without error checks in w32
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 20:54:48 +0200

Lennart Borgman wrote:
On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 7:21 PM, grischka <address@hidden> wrote:
Lennart Borgman wrote:
I guess the idea of having two event loops/thread is not in itself
bad. If the gui thread is never blocked it can be used to convey
status information at least to the user. (You can put these in
temporary windows inside the frame for example.)

Since this is Emacs you'd probably want to format your status info
in Lisp.  Bye nice idea and welcome to thread hell.

I see no reason to format it in Lisp. Or rather my idea is that the
status information is formated by the lisp thread in advance and sent
to the gui thread in a non-lisp format. Then the gui thread can offer
that information without contactinog the lisp thread.

But then what is the benefit from that additional effort of preparing
and sending a "non-lisp" representation forth and back, except to satisfy
the requirements of having two threads?  Have only one thread and you
can format and display the info in one go.  Simple, reliable, conclusive.

--- grischka