Re: Possitility of Emacs support of IVS in w32uniscribe.c ??

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Possitility of Emacs support of IVS in w32uniscribe.c ??
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 11:46:06 +0800

ıɥɔıɐʇ ɐʇɐqɐʍɐʞ <address@hidden> writes:

> Is it possible to support IVS (Ideographic Variation Sequence) in
> w32uniscribe.c?
>
> IVS is a scheme to control the variation of ideographs via U+E0100 to U+E01EF
> special control characters.  It is specified by UTS (Unicode Technical
> Standard) #37.
>
> Windows 7 officially supports IVS feature in uniscribe, and if the one
> install IVS-savvy
> fonts (such as Kozuka Mincho Pr6N, or Hanazono Mincho OTF version) and type
> U+5E73 U+E0101 and U+5E73 U+E0100 in text buffer, then NotePad can display
> them without any problem (see attached image file).  (Kozuka Mincho
> Pr6N is included
> in Adobe Reader Japanese Font Packages).
>
> It can be implemented via font_driver in the Emacs, and it is already
> supported by
> Emacs X-Windows version (ftfont.c, ft_variation_glyphs), and
> Macintosh version (with Yamamoto Mituharu's hacker's version,
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/124489).
> Now if Windows version of Emacs supports it, then all major Emacs platforms
> supports this feature and can be safely used by everyone.
>
> I really appreciate if you could consider implementing it in w32uniscribe.c.
> If you have any questions on IVS specifications, please let me know.

I don't have any time or resources to spend on the Windows port of Emacs
these days. Also, I don't know what is required in the font backend
specific parts of Emacs to add this support.

Best would be if someone who is interested in such topics could find
some time to contribute to Emacs.  I think Eli could do with some help
in some of the font backend aspects of his bidi work as well.

--
Jason Rumney