Re: Concerning the new `ido-use-virtual-buffers' feature

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Concerning the new `ido-use-virtual-buffers' feature
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 11:28:34 +0200

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 10:29, Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> wrote:

> So you would have no virtual buffers by default and just enable them
> when you don't remember the file name?  So why not enable them by
> default?

I like the virtual buffers feature, but most of the time I switch to
an existing bufer, so having a dozen virtual buffers in the list is
just cruft. `auto' seems like the answer... except when I can not
remember how the file was named.

> So how about this: <tab> toggles virtual buffers temporarily, and if
> `ido-use-virtual-buffers' is non-nil, then "no match" enables them, too.

Similar to what I'm proposing, that is, that in `auto' mode, after
"C-x b", <TAB> should temporarily switch to `always'.

> So basically, `ido-use-virtual-buffers' non-nil does what 'auto does
> with Leo's patch now.  There's no way to have virtual buffers per
> default, which is pretty useless IMHO anyway.

Difficult to say. I wouldn't be surprised to find people who wants the
virtual buffers to be shown all the time.

> I think <tab> should not only enable but toggle, because else I could
> not create a new buffer "foo.a" if `ido-use-virtual-buffers' is non-nil.

C-o already toggles it, i.e., C-x b foo.a C-o <RET> <RET>

    Juanma