Re: Window configurations

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Window configurations
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 09:08:20 -0400

> +---------+---------+
> |         |         |
> | dired 1 | dired 1 |
> |         |         |
> +---------+---------+

> Now view a file in the first window, and quit: `v q'.
> The window configuration is correctly restored
> (without using `set-window-configuration') - good.

> Now do the same without `view-mode': `RET C-x k'.
> Instead of the original buffer, some random buffer is displayed
> in this window.

So you're saying that C-x k's heuristic should be to try and restore the
previous window state?  I guess that could make sense, yes.

>> we should think about how we can tell which is
>> the better choice in a given situation.
> We could make this customizable.

No, we want instead to try and think in each case which behavior would
make more sense.  And maybe you're right that in "all" cases, trying to
restore the previous window state is TRT, rather than choosing some
non-shown buffer.

        Stefan