Re: delete-file to trash

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: delete-file to trash
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 19:36:28 -0400

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> So, it seems better to flip the new FORCE argument to delete-file.  We
>> could change it to an argument ALLOW-TRASH, and change the doc of
>> delete-by-moving-to-trash to say that it will only take effect on calls
>> to `delete-file' that use the ALLOW-TRASH argument.  This is backward
>> incompatible but I don't see any better solution.
>
> 100% agreed.

I've just committed a change to do this.  Now, we have to whitelist the
commands that should use trashing.  So far, this includes interactive
calls to `delete-file' and `delete-directory', `speedbar-item-delete',
and `dired-do-flagged-delete' and `dired-do-delete'.

One problem: it would be nice to have a simple interactive way to
inhibit trashing in `dired-do-delete', just like `C-u M-x delete-file'
inhibits trashing.  However, currently the prefix argument is used by
`dired-do-delete' to specify deleting the next N files.