RE: visual-line-mode and line wrapping

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: visual-line-mode and line wrapping
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 08:06:04 -0700

L> BTW, I just added winsize-fit-window-to-fill-column. Should not
L> something like that be in Emacs?

D> IOW, I would think that in some cases a user would want
D> window fitting to accompany the text wrapping: You want
D> text to be wrapped for easy reading (not too wide), and
D> you want the window to be fit to that text, to not waste
D> real estate to the right of the wrapped text.

Seems we sometimes think alike. ;-)

[On a similar topic - with the same aim of saving window real estate, I sent a
patch a year ago to let users _optionally_ fit the window to text that has been
resized.

Currently, if you shrink the text, then you get wasted space at the right.  The
patch lets you (optionally) automatically resize the window to recuperate that
space for adjacent windows.  No one was interested in the patch at that time.
Maybe you would like to take another look? ;-)

Thread `face-remap.el patch to resize window':
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-08/msg00414.html]