Re: Hl-line and visual-line

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Hl-line and visual-line
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 20:26:42 +0300

> From: David Reitter <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 10:22:22 -0400
> Cc: Tassilo Horn <address@hidden>,
>  address@hidden
>
> So yes, let's either fix beginning/end-of-visual-line, or provide a function
> that does the right thing, and base hl-line on that (in visual-line-mode).

No one objected, so I guess this is a GO.

I have one request, though: could you (or someone else) please post
requirements for what these functions should do?  That is, of course,
trivial with unidirectional text, but what about reordered text?

Let's say we have buffer text

  abcde ABCDE FGHIJ xyz

which will be displayed under Visual Line mode as

  abcde JIHGF
  EDCBA xyz

Where should beginning/end-of-visual-line put point in each one of
these two screen lines?

(When you answer this question, please think about the possible uses
of these functions: we need to come up with an answer that is useful
in their various use-cases.)

Thanks.