Re: development plans for cedet / semantic / nxhtml

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re: development plans for cedet / semantic / nxhtml
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 07:40:11 -0400

On 05/18/2010 12:27 PM, Jack Tanner wrote:
I'm asking this as a user, not a developer, but I think the question belongs
here because it involves coordination of development plans. The short version of
the question is: is there work afoot to create a nice IDE for writing web apps
in a mixture of object-oriented PHP, JavaScript, CSS, and XHTML? If so, what
will that involve? nXhtml? CEDET? Semantic? Other elements?

Hi,

I'll put in what my plans are, but what you are looking for requires more than just my efforts.

I'm trying to get upstream CEDET stabilized and better tested for Emacsen before 23.2, and XEmacs. I think it's pretty close, but also slow going since I don't get a lot of time in the summer for this sort of thing.

After that, I want to convert my repository to match the file naming scheme in Emacs to simplify merges.

Once that is done I'm hoping to focus on the "interface" part, and remove the many UI parts that have organically grown over the past many years, and focus on integration. I can't do that alone, as I don't use most of the languages that CEDET supports, nor do I have to even write code for my job anymore, so it will be a big effort in that respect to find all the common use cases and start tuning things to those situations.

From a configuration point of view, I don't have a clear picture of that doing anything but getting simplified over time.

Eric