development plans for cedet / semantic / nxhtml

From: Jack Tanner
Subject: development plans for cedet / semantic / nxhtml
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 16:27:37 +0000 (UTC)

I'm asking this as a user, not a developer, but I think the question belongs
here because it involves coordination of development plans. The short version
of
the question is: is there work afoot to create a nice IDE for writing web apps
in a mixture of object-oriented PHP, JavaScript, CSS, and XHTML? If so, what
will that involve? nXhtml? CEDET? Semantic? Other elements?

The long version is this.

1) I'm using Emacs 23.2 and trying out the new CEDET / Semantic integration,
and
it's not quite "there" yet. For example, I enabled semantic-mode, and switched
to a js-mode buffer. I keep getting this: "wisent-parse-stream: - Invalid start
symbol bovine-inner-scope". Seems like a relative of the bug here:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.semantic/686

I could just file a bug report, although I don't know where this particular
report belongs. But I can also imagine that since the CEDET / Semantic
integration is completely new in 23.2, that the developers are aware of many
little bugs, and such reports would just be noise to them and wasted time for
me.

2) Upstream CEDET apparently has some support for PHP. I'm looking here:

http://cedet.sourceforge.net/languagesupport.shtml
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.cedet/4389

The Emacs 23.2 branch doesn't. Is that coming some day? If not, I should try to
use upstream CEDET. But then I come across threads like this:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.cedet/4432

3) Right now, my IDE is essentially Emacs + nXhtml. It's working out OK, but
there are some more sophisticated features I'd like to use (e.g., automated UML
diagramming). Do CEDET and nXhtml play together? Or will they? What about
features that both seem to want to provide, like completion?

At the end of the day, switching IDEs is not a trivial cost. The support and
features of an IDE affect not only how you write code, but what kind of code
you
write. It plays into plans short-term and long. I can devote some chunk of time
to getting a new environment working, but I don't want to do that if another
reorganization with a steep learning curve is just down the road.