Re: imagemagick branch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: imagemagick branch
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 14:42:57 +0300

> From: address@hidden
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 12:41:38 +0200
>
> Yes, the code could probably safely be added to trunk. Even if one
> activates imagemagick with "configure --with-imagemagick=yes"
> imagemagick wont kick in unless you execute (imagemagick-register-types)

Then I suggest to talk to Stefan and Yidong and ask for their
permission to merge.

> Another question then, how do I merge best to trunk? I'm reading:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs#MergeToUpstream
> but it suggests removing my local branch after merging.
>
> I would like to continue to add some more experimental functions to
> the branch, and later merge these to trunk. Would that also be ok?
> Or would it be better to create a new branch for this purpose?

You can keep the old branch, but it would be best to resync it to
trunk after you merge your current code with the trunk.  Something
like this:

  cd ../trunk
  bzr up
  bzr merge ../imagemagick
  # resolve conflicts, if any
  # build, fix any build errors
  # test, fix any bugs resulting from merge
  bzr ci

The last "bzr ci" could fail if someone committed to the master
repository in the meantime.  IN that case, you will need another
"bzr up" before "bzr ci".

At this point, trunk has the same code you have on your branch.  Now
resync the branch with the trunk:

  cd ../imagemagick
  bzr pull --overwrite

Now your branch is identical to the trunk, and you can continue
development in it.  When you are done, merge again with the trunk,
as shown above.

Note that "pull --overwrite" will overwrite any changes in your branch
that were not merged to the trunk.  I assume from your description
that there will be no such changes.  If you do have changes whcih you
want not to merge at this point, then just continue developing in the
imagemagick branch without the "pull --overwrite" step.  Then, when
you are done with another batch of changes, merge with trunk again, as
shown above, and commit to the master repository.