Re: Watchpoints for emacs lisp.

From: Chad Brown
Subject: Re: Watchpoints for emacs lisp.
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 12:00:47 -0700

On May 17, 2010, at 11:39 AM, alin.s wrote:

> Git works. It is downloading.
>
> It downloaded 65M, and shown 20%.
>
> That means about 320 M.
>
> I do not understand what happens. How emacs passed from 20M before to 300 M
> !?

Either system stores a significant percentage of emacs' history on your local
computer, and allow you to access it in myriad ways.  Once you have that
history, you'll only need to download the changes (more or less; see the
constant stream of troubles caused by the lack of the `smart server' and
painful design faults in bazaar).

How much history?  These are the last few lines of `bzr log':

        revno: 1
        committer: Jim Blandy <address@hidden>
        timestamp: Thu 1985-04-18 00:48:29 +0000
        message:
          entered into RCS

So, ~25 years, but let's assume some significant gaps.

My working tree of emacs (from bazaar) right now is just over 300M.  My
(separate) installed tree is just barely under 250M.  My computer is a few
years old, so I could probably only comfortably have several dozen of these
before I started to care.   Given that the lisp tree itself is ~55M, I'm not
sure how you had a 20M source tree, but the answer seems to be ``the
development sources of emacs are now distributed with history included, rather
than history stored on a remote server''.  This is sometimes an improvement
(for some cases, a dramatic improvement), but it's not without cost.

*Chad