Re: Window configurations

From: grischka
Subject: Re: Window configurations
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 12:42:38 +0200

martin rudalics wrote:
>  >> And we'd get this structure from `window-tree', I suppose?
>  >
>  > But no!  You let the user define it.  And/or write one as default.
>  > (And learn to love your users and to hate heuristics!)
>
> Then you are missing one point: We need a structure that can be defined
> (a) via some layout specification package as the one provided by ECB,
> and (b) from user interactions in order to fit it into the desktop.el
> framework.  In the latter case the user won't care about any such
> structures, she simply wants her windows back.

If is no necessary to save windows. You'd just use the same configuration
to show the same buffers, i.e. throw them at "display-buffer" which calls
into your window manager which will create windows in the same place as before
by definition, because to do this is the whole point of it:   To make sure
that same (class of) content is presented to the user in the same trusty
topological position always.

Anyway, it is true that you'll probably want some nifty code to let the
user interactively resize the layout configuration (e.g. by dragging borders
with the mouse).  It should be doable though.

>  > A buffer-stack per window stands for some such as "virtually overlapped
>  > windows", with a notion of "behind" if you want to.  Of course it is
>  > possible to swap the two topmost position, if such semantics exist or
>  > are desirable.
>
> The question is what the _standard_ semantics are when a window ceases to
> be topmost and we have to move it somewhere else on the stack.

The standard semantics for "ceasing to be topmost" on a stack are "pushed down"
and "popped off".

--- grischka