Re: delete-selection-mode

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 22:37:30 +0200

Deniz Dogan <address@hidden> writes:

>> SM> I'd like to make the DEL part default (i.e. hitting DEL when the
>> SM> selection is active deletes the selection),
>>
>> With the ability to yank it back, or without?
>>
>> The ability to delete text w/o any way to recover it would be a disaster.
>>
>> And I haven't been able to deduce the answer to that question from the
>> various posts on the various threads which I've read.
>>
>> If the deleted text /can/ be yanked back, then your proposal is welcome.
>>
>> (Even though I used the work yank, recovery via (undo) also would do.)
>>

> I don't see how it would be a disaster not to be able to yank it back.
> You would still be able to kill-region with C-w.
>
> I'm in favor of making DEL delete the selection (*not* killing it).
> Not being able to "undo" back text after deleting it would be a
> terrible idea, but I'd doubt anyone is suggesting we do that.

[off topic] With CUA, using a numeric prefix 1-9 for C-x and C-c will
put the killed/copied text into numeric register 1-9 instead of on the
kill-ring. Giving C-v a numeric prefix will yank from that register
rather than the kill ring.  This works for rectangles too.

[on topic] With CUA, deleting text (including selected text deleted by
"delete-selection-mode") automatically copies the deleted text into
register 0.  This means that the last stretch of text deleted (rather
than killed) can be yanked back with C-0 C-v.

Of course, it's gone as soon as you delete something else - but it's
saved my day more than once :-)

--
Kim F. Storm  http://www.cua.dk