Re: Using Git to manage your Emacs changes

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Using Git to manage your Emacs changes
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 15:29:35 -0400

On Apr 21, 2010, at 2:12 PM, David Reitter wrote:

> Generally though, it's blazingly fast; I've had no strange error message from
> git so far, and I've had no incompatibilities with git versions or
> repositories either.  Where I make mistakes of my own with git, I can often
> "git reset --hard" to rewind my changes unless I've already pushed them to
> our server (github).

I'll have to try using this, since I just found out today that git-bzr no
longer works due to a recent commit (haven't tracked down which yet):

  11:49:57 107000/108016 commits exported at 348/minute
  11:56:34 108000/108016 commits exported at 344/minute
  fatal: Expected committer but didn't get one
  fast-import: dumping crash report to .git/fast_import_crash_98213
  bzr: broken pipe

When git-bzr dies, it dies hard and fast without much chance of recovery.  So,
guess I'll have to live with a mirror that lags slightly behind my bzr tree...

Can someone point me to the e-mail thread where we chose Bazaar?  Emacs is the
only project I work on that uses it, and it's been a pretty unpleasant
experience thus far.

Thanks, John