Re: The Gnus repository is switching to Git as of 2010-04-19

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: The Gnus repository is switching to Git as of 2010-04-19
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 18:28:45 -0400

> Git doesn't really do renames, but "git diff" will detect them if the
> deleted and the new file have the same content.

I know that's how it works.  But I don't know what it means in terms of
the behavior when merging changes, including addition/removal of files.
IIUC it understands movement of files, but does it understand movement
of directories (e.g. if Gnus adds a new file lisp/gnus-new.el, will it
appear in Emacs as lisp/gnus/gnus-new.el or lisp/gnu-new.el?; similarly
if Emacs adds a new file lisp/new.el will it appear in Gnus as
lisp/new.el?).

I don't personally care whether the moves&removal&adds are done on the
Bzr or Git side.  AFAIK it's as easy to do it on either side.  It can
even be split into some part on one side and some other part on the
other side.

> A likely problem will be merging a specific Emacs branch bidirectionally
> to a specific Gnus branch.  So far I've only done it for Gnus trunk
> vs. Emacs trunk.

It should be just as easy for a branch as for the trunk.

        Stefan