Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch.

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch.
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 04:18:12 +0300

>> So there are two parts of this:
>> - Implementing tabs.
>> - Better handling of window configurations, probably including naming,
>> save and restore etc.
>
> Dont we have this already in "winner" or "winring" or some of the
> existing window configuration packages?

The problem with existing packages is that they can't be used
without some modifications.

> IMHO tabs should just be buttons that generate events that by default
> are bound to activating a particular window configuration.

Don't forget that the other way round events (from window configurations
to tabs) should be possible too, e.g. changes in window configurations
should update the current tab's name, etc.

> Then again, window configurations could be further enhanced by
> finishing one of the "window group" proposals discussed some time
> ago on this list, but that nots necesary for tabs.

This is a separate feature. There are different names for it:
"window groups", "framelettes", "internal frames".  It basically means
an ability to insert special windows into the window tree.
There additional special windows could be:

  1. a grouping parent window for its subwindows
     (this can be done by adding a `parent' attribute to normal windows)
  2. an inner mode-specific tool-bar subwindow
  3. an inner mode-specific tab-bar subwindow

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/