Re: [patch] Tramp Scpc Autodetection

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: [patch] Tramp Scpc Autodetection
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 12:35:37 -0700 (PDT)

> I'd like to do whatever is necessary to contribute this patch to
> emacs. What is necessary for that?

I'm not in charge, but you'll certainly need a copyright assignment for
this if you don't already have one: I believe you just need to write to
address@hidden and ask for the form, but if I'm wrong a
maintainer (Stefan or Chong) will correct me shortly.

After review/revision of the patch and your assignment (which usually
takes longer), someone will commit your patch quickly.  Since this is a
user-visible change (if a minor one), a NEWS entry might be helpful.

> More generally, I couldn't find any information on the emacs website
> or in the manual about how to contribute to Emacs. Is this list the
> right place to send things like this?

Yes, although if you're reporting a bug (and possibly supplying a patch)
you should write to address@hidden, which is backed by a database
so that bugs and patches don't get forgotten.  For discussion of new
features or changes to the interface or so, this is the place; your case
is perhaps a gray area.

A few comments on the patch:

> +(defun detect-scpc ()

You should use the package prefix "tramp-" here.

> +           (search-forward "OpenSSH_" nil t)
> +           (looking-at "[0-9.]*")
> +           (let ((ssl-version (read (match-string 0))))
> +             (>= ssl-version 4.0))))))

This won't do the right thing if, say, the version is "4.3.2", because
`read' will treat it as a symbol, not a number.  The obvious change is to
use "[0-9]+\\.?[0-9]*" as the regexp, which will also avoid an error if
there is no version string in the buffer at all (if, say, the process call
fails).

Davis

shipping.