Re: make dist target for Windows

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: make dist target for Windows
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 09:23:56 +0200

Eli Zaretskii skrev:
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 13:00:39 +0800
From: Jason Rumney <address@hidden>

On 01/04/2010 07:43, Christoph wrote:
Can we provide debug symbols as additional download? Or do you have to have it compiled with debug support?
I'm not sure that gcc supports having debug symbols in a separate file,

It's not a GCC option, it's an objcopy option (--only-keep-debug).
See the section in the GDB manual pointed to by Jan for more details.

However, as this option is a close relative of `strip', I'm afraid
that it might not work, for the same (unknown) reasons stripping the
dumped Emacs executable doesn't work.

How does the breakage manifest itself? It seems to work on GNU/Linux (Ubuntu), but I haven't run it extensively. Fedora has shipped Emacs with separate debug-info files for a long time.

        Jan D.