Re: highlighting non-ASCII characters

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: highlighting non-ASCII characters
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 08:15:19 -0500

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 14:32:33 -0700 "Drew Adams" <address@hidden> wrote:

DA> The point was that besides multiple kinds of curly-quote characters that are
DA> true homoglyphs (dunno if such exist; I'm assuming they do),

There are definitely some funky quotes in Unicode so let's assume so.

DA> it can also be useful to highlight a character (e.g. curly quote)
DA> that is similar to but not identical to another character
DA> (e.g. straight quote).

OK, but can you say how it's useful in a specific example?  In SQL,
Perl, Java, Lisp, and TeX editing I would not need the *glyphs*
highlighted because the mode would detect the mismatch, e.g. in Perl

$result = `run command here[wrong backward quote here]; # comment here

would highlight "comment here" as part of the command.  IOW they are
syntactically significant so a mismatch is not likely to go unnoticed
anyway by the regular font-lock and the parser.

In regular text it's legitimate to have any combination of quote marks
so I don't see the benefit of looking for suspicious combinations.  In
domain names quote marks of any kind are suspicious :)

Ted