Re: MS-Windows build broken in Fmake_network_process

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: MS-Windows build broken in Fmake_network_process
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 14:55:02 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Hardware. Windows 9X is the main choice for old machines (like 64MB
>> > ram). Don't take that away without need.
>>
>> If they run a 15 year old trashy OS, do they really demand the latest
>> and greatest Emacs? (which is a very fat application for such machines)
>
> We still support DOS, which is even trashier, remember?
>
> I really don't understand this urge to be unkind to users of lesser
> machines.  If there was some effort required from the active
> developers, I could at least begin to understand.  But there isn't
> any.

I understand the virtues of maintaining support for older systems, but
the prospect of maintaining support for non-networked Windows 95, when
there's no one to use or test or develop that support, does not fill me
with enthusiasm.

We have one developer---you---who can still make sure Emacs works on
DOS.  (And also DOS can be emulated these days.)  I'm not aware of
anyone who is still using and/or reporting bugs (let alone developing)
on a non-networked Windows 95 system.  Are you?