Re: Tweaking t-m-m to make room for d-s-m

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Tweaking t-m-m to make room for d-s-m
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 22:36:46 -0400

>> make C-SPC not activate the region (but let everything else
>> activate it), so that the region is only active when the user
>> really intended to activate it.
[...]
> If you think C-SPC C-SPC is too much trouble, then switch the two: Let
> C-SPC set the mark without activating the region and C-SPC C-SPC set
> mark and activate.  I could live with that, and I'll bet other
> d-s-moders could too.

That's exactly what I meant by "make C-SPC not activate the region".

> But we can do better: Let users decide individually, by adding an
> option that says whether a single or a double C-SPC activates
> the region.

I'm not interested in discussing what options we should provide: that's
a trivial issue compared to the issue of what should be the default.

>> One of the problems left with it is what to do for C-x C-x.
> Why not leave it as is?

That means it activates the region, which is a problem if the user just
wants to swap point and mark but not activate the region.

> Or if C-x C-x C-g is really too much trouble, then add an option for
> this too.

Again, options are of no help here.  We're discussing the default.

>> we'd want two commands: one that swap point and mark, and one that
>> activates the region.  Currently C-x C-x does both.
> Only if t-m-mode is on.

Did I say we're discussing the default?

>> if we don't change C-x C-x, then users who want to
>> navigate to the mark get the region activated when they
>> didn't want it.
> Just use C-g (or whatever new key we choose for deactivation).

Emacs should first do no harm.  I.e. the region should only be activated
when the user really intended to, since it may then be deleted
by a mere DEL or a self-inserting key.

> And if someone never uses the active region, then by definition she
> never needs t-m-mode, and s?he can just turn it off.

...[mumble]....default...

        Stefan