Re: highlighting non-ASCII characters

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: highlighting non-ASCII characters
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 20:45:48 -0400

>> > In my case, I customize `escape-glyph' to be something very
>> > noticeable (orange background, with blue foreground and
>> > 1-pixel blue box). I want to see something like ^G really
>> > stand out.  I don't want to see
>> > non-ascii chars handled the same way.
>> Actually, in the original case (a weird non-ASCII K in the middle of
>> ASCII text), I would want it to stand out.  The problem there
>> is how to define "weird".

> Whether you want non-ASCII chars to also stand out is a separate
> question. My point is that I don't want to see them handled _the same
> way_ as ^G et compagnie.

What I'm saying is that there are two issues: non-ASCII chars in general
(which I personally don't want to display in any special manner:
they're just as normal as ASCII chars), and then there are "chars that
are out of place or that may not be what they look like", such as the
weird "K" in the other message's "OK" (which to me, is similar to the
NBSP char in that it is meant to be displayed in the same way as some
other char, so we want to call the attention of the user to the
difference).

> Having separate faces lets users get the behavior they want.  If you
> then want to customize the two faces to look the same, no problem.

I don't insist on using escape-glyph for those chars, indeed (I don't
really care which face is used for them).  What I care about is figuring
out how to define programmatically "chars that are out of place or that
may not be what they look like".

        Stefan