Re: finder.el UI

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: finder.el UI
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 11:33:54 -0500

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 17:08:27 +0200 Juri Linkov <address@hidden> wrote:

SM> Indeed, maybe we should move finder.el to lisp/obsolete?
>>
>> Works for me.  But Juri's `finder' looks better than `info-finder' so
>> perhaps `info-finder' can be folded into it.

JL> You are comparing apples and oranges.  `info-finder' is an Info manual
JL> useful to browse a list of keywords.  My `finder' is a part of separate
JL> package with different goals.  I referred to it only to show you an example
JL> how UI of package.el could look.

Sorry I misunderstood your intent.

JL> Besides the old Finder UI, finder.el also contains code that
JL> collects keywords and generates finder-inf.el with keyword data
JL> that is used by other interfaces.

I think that's:

finder-compile-keywords-make-dist
finder-compile-keywords
finder-commentary

plus the initialization code and variables.

So the rest: interactive functions, support and the mode support
(keymaps, summary, etc.) could be removed safely, or maybe moved to
lisp/obsolete/finder-old.el.

JL> I think package.el should have its own UI designed for its
JL> requirements.

All right.  Thank you for explaining.

Ted